Thursday, November 5, 2009

today's throwing


today's throwing
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
should be about the last of the work that I'm making for my home sale. I still have a way to go for etsy and my december obligations, but I can see the light at the end of the production tunnel. I made a dozen of these largeish serving pieces, four platters, and another dozen tiny bowls and vases. I ran though 25 lbs of clay in just under 2 hours. Tomorrow they should be ready to trim.

These pieces are usually white with green leaves. But after a brief camera (and leaf collecting) walk early this morning, I've decided to glaze the ginkgo leaves in their splendid autumnal gold and go for red with the japanese maple leaves. Just because.

For the rest of the morning I'm going to load the kiln and begin a glaze firing and glaze some more pieces to fire again on Saturday or Sunday. It usually takes a good 24-36 hours for the kiln to cool enough to unload without risking cracking the glaze as it meets the cooler air temperature. Lately I've been trying to work hard from 7:30 until about 12:30 (with breaks for coffee, an early lunch, and email checking) and be cleaned up, showered, and ready to pick up little boy by 1:30. That leaves enough time to plan our supper before I get him at 2ish. The afternoons are dedicated to homework and picking up, reading practice and a little knitting if I'm lucky. The weeks just fly by.

I hope to have some new pieces to show you this weekend. Have a great rest of your week!

2 comments:

Tara Thayer said...

i love the peek into your routine. these serving pieces are gorgeous. i can't wait to see how they look after glazing.
enjoy today, melissa!

Mama Urchin said...

I love knowing what you're doing too. I think the big pieces will be great for your home show. If the trip goes well to CO maybe I can do Memphis in 2010?