Tuesday, November 10, 2009

sunday kids cooking


sunday
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
Sundays are always hard for me. I try to be out the door by 9:30 so that I can prepare my atrium for Catechesis of the Good Shepherd at St. Mary's. This means a simple snack for toddlers, flowers, fresh polishing supplies (wood and mirrors) set out for practical life work, and sometimes grown-up snacks for hospitality hour afterwards. Plus getting us all dressed. All this equals stressed.

If I get up early enough, I try to make a "festive" breakfast for us to eat together. This usually counteracts my stress level. This week I made some pumpkin and spice waffles. I was inspired by Molly's pancake recipe and worked from there. I keep a large bin filled with the whole grain version of the Sept '06 Everyday Food pancake mix. I reduced the liquid by 1/3 and omitted the oil, replacing them with 1/2 c pumpkin puree. I also added about 1.5 teaspoons each maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice plus sprinkle of turbinado sugar to help with browning.

These were so good. I'm going to make more and freeze them for DIY school day breakfasts. I love waffles. Don't you?

4 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

We're big into freezing pancakes and waffles for weekday breakfasts.

amy h said...

Yummy. I need a waffle maker. My kids love waffles. And I love anything pumpkin. Of course, I have no idea where I would PUT a waffle maker.

lynseym said...

i roasted mr. jack-o-lantern and made quinoa pancakes out of them. they were delicious!

Sheri said...

We've made pumpkin pancakes but never pumpkin waffles - why is that? I far prefer waffles to pancakes and so do the kids. Freezing leftovers is the way to go but we have also used this stuff batter blaster which is instant organic batter in a can! Fun to make and super easy. Good tasting if not great but organic so that's good.
Yay for handy morningtime shortcuts :)