Tuesday, June 17, 2008

managing expectations


managing expectations
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
So, these are the berry bowls that were going to be fired. That one in the corner that looks intact? It isn't. Big hunk missing from the rim. There were a dozen. Plus a nice fern platter. Little boy started throwing up early this morning, so I'd called the swimming teacher to reschedule our lessons. The phone rang as I was walking out the door. I put the tray down on the shelf/ledge (normally wide and sturdy enough for the load), to get the phone, then I heard the crash. How nice to lose $250 and disappoint a half-dozen people in one second.

So my day's plans have changed somewhat. And it wasn't even the swimming teacher on the phone. I guess this is why we have answering machines?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry... How frustrating for you (and sad!). Anyone waiting will understand. I hope the little one is well soon.

Leslie said...

Bless your heart. I know your heart must have dropped into your stomach when you heard the crash. I am so sorry.

bridgmanpottery said...

well, these things happen. At least they weren't already bisqued or glazed. That would have REALLY been a waste of time. Someone pointed out that it IS a full moon today. . . .

Jess in MA said...

My heart jumps when there is a crash in a restaurant totally unrelated to me. I can't imagine the sickening feeling that must have hit you when you heard that crash! I am soooo sorry. As Beth said, I am sure people will understand. It's art, not some mass production monster from the big box store! I hope it stays cooler for you, I am definitely not able to function in the big heat!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just saw this! How sad! It is true that it's good that they weren't farther along though. And as for disappointing people, I'm sure that they'll be patient about it so I wouldn't worry there.

I hope the rest of the week goes better for you!