Friday, May 30, 2008

market apron


market apron
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
Here it is- made start to finish during the not-naptime we had yesterday. Not naptime consists of little boy jumping from bed to floor with a large thud, sticking his head out the door, and a hollered (ya'll know I'm in the deep South, right?) "Mama, can I get up now?" every 15 minutes from 12:30-2:30. The vintage valence fabric was more dry-rotted than I'd imagined- even the bias tape trim on the bottom was rotting off. This little apron may have limited usage time. But to use it while I could, I lined the printed cotton with a sturdy vintage white cotton sheet. I also lined the tobacco brown linen, left over from when my mother and I upholstered my living room sofa, with the same sheet to give it more heft. It has four pockets for cash, pens, calculator (should I be able to find it).

After naptime (which ended when I finished the apron), we took off to the playground where my friend Virginia told me to "do something interesting with my hands." This is what I came up with.

Saturday is supposed to be a scorcher- so I'll be wearing my coolest top ever- again- I may never take off this little red top. I'm looking forward to being on the shady side of the market, next to the goat cheese man (must remember to bring cooler!), and having the fabulous quinoa salad that Laura Barrett of Bun in the Oven makes, for lunch.

It's a busy prep day for me today, but I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

No comments: