Friday, July 18, 2008

the reveal

First, I want to tell you all what a fabulous man I married. He came home one day this week to vacuum the floor before a relative came over (on his lunch break! He vacuums! And yes, there is a story behind this). Wednesday night he mixed all of my glazes for me, set up a table in the kitchen, and helped me with the unloading, glazing, loading, and firing. What a guy. I am so lucky.

These bowls. I am glad that I did more than I needed in green, because all but one came out like this. I think (no, I know) that the problem stems from too much water in my bisque (the fired piece)meeting too much water in the glaze and it just won't dry. I only have this problem with the greens. It is worse because I layer a second green over the first. I'll refire them and they'll look a little leopardy, but that's fine. I'd like them to be a tad darker, too, but I'll work on that when I've got more pottery to glaze. As of now, I've glazed everything that I have made.


Lisa's platter. Fourth time is the charm, apparently. I wish that I could have gotten a better picture of this (I may yet try), because the greens are pretty. Lisa is moving next week to Kansas City. This is a gift from a bunch of us. She has several of my pieces in this color- the deep celadon with slip-dots on the outside. I think I may have started making this pattern for her. I hate that she's moving.



This was a little experiment. Frances Palmer is one of my favorite potters. She is more whimsical than I am, but her classic forms, simple color, and fluting really inspire me. And I love that all of her pottery is meant to be used. Cake plates, vases, trays and vessels, all refined, but with a purpose of making everyday life more beautiful. She was one of the first potters that I saw and thought- "that's who I want to be when I grow up." Inspired by her whimsy, I snipped the tip off of a bag of slip to pipe these little ruffles on the top of this bud vase. Unless the flower is a tall single stem, the blossom will cover this detail, but I still like it.



And finally. A big batch of berry bowls. This doesn't make me finished, but I'm closer to the number that have been ordered than I was on Monday. YAY! All of these are going to orders, but I promise to have a big batch just up for anyone on etsy before I stop making them for the summer.


Happy Friday!
Oh, I am feeling SO much better. Much more like myself. Thanks for all of the nice comments and emails this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad you are feeling better)) lovely pictures))

Karen said...

I, too, am a fan of Frances Palmer and her work. I just visited with her in Atlanta at the Americasmart Gift Show and saw the new introductions. She has a lovely shade of green now. I have carried her line in my store when it was on Magazine Street in New Orleans and I have it again here in the store in Baton Rouge.
You are right - each of her pieces is not only beautiful, but is an item with a definite purpose and function. And the combination is marvelous.
I am enjoying your blog and look forward to visiting you on Etsy. I know that I will find many more wonderful pieces to view - they have a distinct personality that is light-hearted and seems to be smiling at life.

bridgmanpottery said...

thank you, Inga, and wow, Karen, thanks for such affirming comments!

Anna said...

OOOOOH I want a berry bowl!!!! How much are they?