Wednesday, July 16, 2008

breakfast of bridgmans


breakfast
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
Where to start? I have a kiln load of berry bowls and a special platter cooling off, waiting for me to glaze them today and fire tomorrow. I think (I hope) that this will meet all of the berry bowl obligations I have, but if not, I'll make more until August.

This is the typical bridgman breakfast. Homemade yogurt, fruit, homemade granola. I taught Gary to make the granola because I found myself having to make it once a week- the boys go through it so fast. This little 2/3 cup ramekin is about as much breakfast as I like, but my boys will eat 2+ cups at a time. Last weekend I went through a hurry-scurry of organizing and cleaning, including finding (finally) an appropriate container for the granola. We use half of a big container of rolled oats each time we make it so that we don't run out after a day or two. I used to have a plastic thing I put it in, but I'm joining the flight from plastic. I was happy with this $5 glass biscuit jar from Target.

But the berries. Oh, these blueberries. My mom, my friend Leigh Ann, and I went to Coldwater, Mississippi the morning of July 4 to pick berries. I realized shortly before we got there that I'd been picking at this little family-owned, honor-system, pick-your-own farm. The last time I went was 6-7 years ago when our friend Ildri from Norway was visiting. It's $6 a gallon, a bargain compared to all of the other places. Completely organic (read-they're too busy to bother with spraying or fertilizing plants as self-sufficient as blueberry bushes), and the family will amble on down to visit every once in a while. I was thrilled with the price, but even happier to find out that granddaddy farmer planted the bushes a dozen or so years ago, and each summer a different grandchild gets the proceeds from the pickings to add to his college fund. I think this will be my go-to blueberry farm from now on. I got 2.5 gallons, which should keep us in blueberry pancakes, poundcakes, and cobblers for the winter. I dried half a gallon to use in granola, too. Oh, yum.

3 comments:

helmetnona said...

I have already eaten 3/4 gallon of these blueberries by myself! I can't stop myself. I can gorge on a whole berry bowl full in one sitting. Soo delicious!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've found a wonderful place to get your berries from. I love hearing about places like that.
Will you share your homemade granola recipe?

Sarah-potterknitter said...

I must second the request for the granola recipe!
Good friends of ours have a blueberry farm, I have three gallons in the freezer already. That's keeping me satisfied until my bushes get a little bigger.