Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bridgman Easter 2008


These are two baptismal banners I made for Easter Baptisms at the Cathedral. I was really excited about how they turned out. The entire thing is made out of craft foam sheets and really skinny ribbon. We traced the handprints of about 8 of the children in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd a week ago and I arranged them into a butterfly shape for the little boy, and a garden of lilies for the little girl. I was very pleased with how the ribbon looks a bit like calligraphy. The background is plain cotton duck canvas, which took hot glue and fabric glue really well.

Little boy and I also made easter egg garlands and place cards for our dinner yesterday, but he woke up this morning with a bad tummy bug, so the family festivities will be postponed. I changed out of my easter clothes and dressed up like an easter egg- a powder blue cashmere turtleneck a Cathedral friend outgrew, pink mini-wale cords, and my favorite blue and purple jaywalker socks. It's beautiful out, but only about 50 degrees, a reminder that spring's nature is fickle.

With all of the excitement about cupcakes in the blogosphere, I've been craving them this week, so when little boy fell asleep, I pulled out the kitchenaid and whipped up a batch of lemon cupcakes with buttercream icing. I'll save them for when little boy is feeling better, but the icing is the exact yellow of johnny-jump-ups, so at least a few with be flower-topped. Maybe I'll be able to get a picture of them with my favorite cake plate later this afternoon.

Happy Easter- sing out, ring the bells, enjoy the renewal of spring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty banners.
Bro Dan & I went to Easter service at Grace. We left at the Peace & the service had been going on for 2 hours! He let me know he was ready to depart after an interpretive dance with a cover of a Leonard Cohen song. I've gotta say something about me loves that place and those people. They do things their own way for sure. LAM