Monday, February 4, 2013

five

it seems that this pitcher took twice as long as the rest have, not because of difficulty of design or surface design, but because I hurt my arms and had had several bad working days in a row and then just had difficult motivating myself to sit down and finish it.
The inspiration for this pitcher belongs to my friend Marion.  Marion lives in a wonderful old house filled with antiques.  Her husband is Irish, and many of their dishes are English and Irish.  This milk pitcher is an old hand-painted English one and I was entranced by the birds flying up and down its sides.  I borrowed it in early December, knowing it would inspire something, but not sure what.





I spent a day or two working on the birds- drawing and watercolor and imagining how I'd use them in my work.  I thew a stout cylinder and cut and shaped a slab to attach for a spout.  I've never made a squared spout of this sort before and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  The handle was also cut out of a thick chunk of clay rather than pulling, which is how I generally make my handles.  After I attached the handle and spout, I cut them both down to fit and put the pitcher away for several days.  I used mishima inlay to decorate the pitcher and then used the underglaze watercolors to add some color to the birds, the rim, and the handle.  I also used the watercolors on a piece that had already been bisqued, and I think I prefer painting on bisque more than on greenware, but we'll wait and see how it turns out.

Later this week I plan to bisque and glaze pitchers 2-4.  #5 is still too damp to fire this week, so it will go in February's batch of pitchers. 


2 comments:

rebecca said...

i realize it's greenware, but i really like the look of this one in that dark grey/green color with the blue and orange of the bird. kind of a crude look, but really appealing. i realize it will fire whitish, but maybe you'd consider a greenware-colored glaze? also, i'm thinking again about how great this project is for letting you practice all sorts of techniques and journal about the experience and outcomes... awesome exercise!

prince said...

satta king
play bazaar This strategy is the most effortless over the long haul. While this may appear to be significantly progressively troublesome when you are beginning, it is a lot simpler than leading your self on. Be straightforward with your self and focus on the quit and you will be off cigarettes decently no problem at all.