Thursday, August 14, 2008

one local supper- august 13

This was my first real cooking since I came back from DC. I ate and ate and ate there, so I didn't want to really cook. Plus the larder was pretty bare (it still is), so I didn't have much to cook until after yesterday's farmers market trip. We did have some local black angus flat iron steak that Gary had thawed, marinated, and partially cooked, so I knew I needed to use that. Generally, I'm not much of a meat eater, but I bought this after talking to the farmer (rancher?) and it was a huge piece of meat for $9, and it makes my boys happy. I took some zucchini, tomatoes, bunching onions, and basil (some of which had been languishing in the produce drawer for a week or two) and made a simple sautee (the leftovers have been added to my frozen ragu from a couple of weeks ago), and sliced up the potatoes, drizzled them with olive oil, topped with kosher salt, and roasted them. I am a potato fanatic. These were between golf-and-baseball sized, and I could have eaten six of them. I only made 4 to prevent that from happening. I ate 2.
All of the veggies came from my friends at Whitton Flower and Produce. The potato recipe came from Mark Bittman's Minimalist Cooks at Home, which I cannot find anywhere (and it's making me a little crazy, because it's my favorite cookbook and I'm a little afraid that I inadvertently purged it at the end of June when I was doing the great de-junk). It has a name, but I have no idea what it is. Fancy Crispy Potatoes, we'll call it for now.

We also got some slam-fanstastic peaches at the market yesterday- about 25 of them. Elbertas, the "regular" kind, and some big white-fleshed varieties (sorry I didn't pay attention) that is making me crave a bellini (4 T white peach puree per bottle of prosecco), so maybe when I do "real" grocery shopping later today I'll pick up some prosecco and indulge!

3 comments:

mayaluna said...

Delicious...this is what I mean...I should just move to your town right now! I'm not a big meat and potato person (I was a vegetarian for 15 years), but this looks heavenly. I'd like to get a copy of that book myself...feel the same about potatoes! Amazing what you "throw together.

ZenCrafter said...

Hey, AbeBooks.com has several copies of the Minimalist Cooks book for dirt cheap. It looks like a great resource; I just may snag a copy.

You have a wonderful blog, and I thank Maya for reminding me about your wonderful pottery!

bridgmanpottery said...

Thanks to both of you- I'll go look at AbeBooks today. I was really about to cry in my proverbial soup about that book!