Tuesday, August 12, 2008

back to daily life


fence
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
I'm back from my little girl's trip to visit my college buddies at my friend's home in Alexandria, VA. It was beautiful, inspiring, refreshing, exhausting. I met my single culinary desire (soft-shell crab), visited Trader Joe's (Please Please Please come to Memphis!!), flew for the first time in 8 years (um, it's changed a LOT!), acquired more new yarn than I thought possible (winter socks for the whole family), caught up with my girlfriends, three of whom I hadn't seen in five years, and was excited to "meet" a new bloggy friend, though it felt like we'd known each other for at least five years. Did I mention that it was blissfully cool? Never got over 85? And the cool weather inexplicably followed me home?

School started yesterday for little boy, so today is my first full-time day of back-to-pottery since the first of July. Museum work won't start again until the first of September, and I have a lot of catch-up to do in the next two weeks. First step-I stopped to gather ferns for a custom order wedding platter after school drop-off. Now it's time to get to work. And I'm excited about it!

That's the wonderful thing about vacations- the sense of renewal that comes when you get back home and fall into you routines with new vigor.


And thank you for the responses to my eco-responsibility-sustainability post. I appreciate the feedback!

4 comments:

April said...

What a nice trip! We went to DC in August two years ago and vowed never to return unless it was in the winter. My favorite part of traveling now is visiting yarn stores.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I go to TJ whenever I visit family in Arizona & Illinois. I wish we had one here.

It will be five more years before I will have both girls in school so I can do uninterrupted work on pots. (and even then, that will only be half days) That feels like a long time...

Malsy (THE Moe of DMOE) said...

So nice. I want to have a front yard with lots of Salem women to just hang out with!

mayaluna said...

Welcome back! You might not know how often I check in or how inspired I am by you( well you might know that I'd love to come to your restaurant...I mean kitchen table!), so I just gave you an award over at my blog... so you'd have a little inkling about how I feel!
-Maya