Friday, May 27, 2011

And-

I'm glaze shopping again.  For clear this time; the new batch of white is doing exactly what it is supposed to, but the clear- oh goodness.  I tell you that it BITES to spend, say, six hours on a set of cups (start to finish, hands-on time is about 10 hours for these 20 cups, not including firing) and pull them from the kiln and find them rough and streaky and/or cloudy.  I tried to reglaze them but the glaze wouldn't stick because it was too thin.  Not terribly good for someone trying to fill wholesale orders. On Tuesday I cried about it and told my son I didn't want to be a potter any more.  He asked what I'd do with my wheel and kilns.  Good question.

And then I see lovely photos of my work in friends' homes, and someone I know sees me out at supper and tells me that she loves the new piece she bought, and my knitting friends are tickled with their newest batch of seconds, and I realize that it's ok.  And that I am in serious need of a re-boot.  A vacation.  So we're taking one.  I'll be back here in a few weeks, with some new clear glaze, and hopefully some work to share.

Happy Memorial Day.  Enjoy your holiday weekend.  Remember those who have given and lost and be thankful.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

oh! sad. reality bites... but not all the time thank goodness! nice to take a break to get your bearings.

Leila said...

Have a great vacation! I hope the new glaze works out. Your pieces are fantastic and I'd hate to see you stop doing them. I was just sitting at my favorite spot on the sofa a couple of days ago and when I looked at my coffee table I noticed that 3 of your pieces were sitting there (the small speckled bowl which I use ALL the time, a berry bowl, and my pomegranate vase). It made me smile to see them all together.

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa! Such is the way of the artist. Virtual hugs from us - hope they will keep you going.