Tuesday, March 1, 2011

march

Hello, March!  So happy to see you!  Sunshine, warmer temps- spring has come to Memphis.  We'll probably have one more freeze, but I've drug my bay tree out into the yard and will drag it back into the house if it gets too cold.  The daffs are popping up, and the gorgeous Japanese magnolias and cherry trees are coloring up front yards like giant pink lollipops.

March is almost always a busy month for me- it is officially time to get busy building inventory, and a friend who managed the market sales for a local orchard with strawberry fields reminded me that strawberries will start coming in at the end of April.  Which means one thing: berry bowls.  I'm making fewer of these this year because I'm getting tired of them, but I don't think I'll stop completely.  I've been making honeypots by the dozen, both to build inventory and to put up in my neglected shop.  Starting Thursday I'll be making one. thousand. herb markers for a local event put on by the master gardeners- and hopefully that will be enough to last me through the summer.  One. Thousand.  That will be about 100 of each herb that I do.  I'm getting help for this one- from the making to the glazing to the cutting copper stakes, my friend Natalie is my right hand gal.  Our farmers market starts back up in mid-April; it is serious inventory time!

Today was a lovely day- a cool morning- frosty, even, cold enough that someone was kind enough to build a fire while his family was still sleeping- and now warm enough that laundry is out drying on the line.  I saw a honeybee while I was hanging the laundry (I bough the new Ashley English Keeping Bees as an early birthday gift to myself, btw.  Look for bee posts in another 2-3 years), and I am making a double batch of Olive Oil Granola (Don't let the name put you off.  It is the best granola I've ever made.  I cut the maple syrup down to 1/2 c and left out the brown sugar entirely) as I type.

I hope you're beginning to see signs of spring where you are, too. 
Have a nice week!

2 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

Speaking of your birthday... it is slightly possible that I will buck the recent trend and actually get you your package on time, or at least within the same month. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, as they say, but I am cautiously optimistic.

TootieFlootie said...

When I was little, we had bees on our farm. We kept them in the old-fashioned wooden bee crates. I don't recall us ever retreiving honey from them, sadly, though I do remember my father and opa trying to remove them... My father had put on a makeshift "bee suit" out of a sheet. He didn't seal the bottom, so of course those smart bees just flew right into the suit with him. My oma and I spotted him running about a quarter of a mile down the driveway near the mailbox, doing an odd dance. :-) Soon, you're going to need a "Bridgeman Farm" sign in front of your home! :-)