Saturday, July 17, 2010

goodness


I really don't know where the time goes.  Last week went by in a blur, but it was full of good things.  First, I did get the 850.  It isn't a wagon, but the seats fold down and I'm hoping hoping I can get all of my market gear in - shelves, tent, etc.  I really mourned velva-the-volvo's passing.  But I'm hoping that she has a future with someone else.

I threw quite a bit.  I made lots.  A whole kiln load.  All good.  And I experimented with plates.  That hurt my arms, so I put the idea of wheel-thrown plates out of my mind.  Can't do it without pain, so there's no reason to entertain ideas of doing so.  Beginning to figure out slab-built options for plates. 

I sauced and canned eight pounds of heirloom tomatoes.  That a fellow at the market gave me as he was packing up.  They were catfaced- you know, puckered, multi-lobed, a little scarred, full of character, if a tomato can have such a thing.  Really yummy sauce made from organic tomatoes.  Free organic tomatoes.  So I made this farmer a tomato leaf mug.  I'll show you later this week.


One night I stayed out for an extra hour with a friend and I realized that she is one of my life mentors.  It is so good to have those kind of people in your life- people you can learn from just by watching, and conversation with them only deepens your understanding of their wisdom.  I feel really blessed to be actively involved with a multi-generational group of women.  I learn so much from my time with them.


And the figs are in.  I'm picking three times a day.  My largest mixing bowl is full of figs in the fridge.  I'm looking for teeny giftable-size canning jars to make rosemary-lemon-fig jam.  And thinking on how I'll fit in jam-making  to my pottery (and swimming) schedule this week.  The chickens like figs, too.  That's fun.


Ok.  I hope you had a good weekend and have a good week.  I'll see you later.


5 comments:

cloth.paper.string | sarah said...

all sounds so very good. especially that fig jam. i bought wee 1/2 pints last summer - they're made by kerr or ball, and were sold alongside the big ones.

Mama Urchin said...

There are those squat half-pints like I made my blueberry butter in. There are also quarter-pints but they are tiny!

Wylie said...

Love the picture of the figs! Hope I'm part of your multi-generational group of friends! :)

Leila said...

Fig jam, how fun! I don't think I'm going to get anything much from my garden this year for canning but it's the first year so I'm just hoping it'll do better (and I'll do better with deer and groundhog deterrents) next year.

Have fun with your jam!

Anonymous said...

yes, yes! it all sounds very good to me!