Sunday, August 9, 2009

one local supper: 10

This is a summer staple that I haven't made yet this year- since June was so very hot and July so very rainy, tomatoes have been a little spotty in the mid-south. It is so, so easy. Polenta (3 c water, 1 c polenta from Delta Grind, a little salt), add cheese if you want. Spread it over the bottom of a pie plate, casserole dish, tart tin. Bake at 350 until it is set up and barely browned. Top with sliced tomatoes, basil leaves, any sort of cheese (I used goat). You can also use sliced zucchini, leeks, onions, summer squash. I added a bit of zucchini. Bake for about an hour. While it is baking, make a pesto mayonnaise sauce with basil, garlic, and mayonnaise (I've been making my own mayonnaise with local eggs since June). Drizzle or plop sauce over the top of the hot tart, let cool briefly, serve. I added a side of elote, or grilled mexican corn, that I made for our bookclub last night. Next time I'll boil the corn, because I forgot about it on the grill pan and it was a little more chewy than fresh and juicy. Elote is simply grilled corn coated in a mixture of lime juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, cojita cheese, and spices. Mine was a mix of mayonnaise and local buttermilk, cayenne, and a bit of cilantro.

We also had some cheater peach sorbet we made earlier in the week with frozen peaches and a little local milk in the food processor. It is fast, super easy, and sugar-free. It freezes hard, but if you add a teensy bit of rum or fruit liqueur, it won't be rock-hard. We didn't, so we just let it sit out for a minute before dishing it out.

2 comments:

cloth.paper.string said...

yum! i'm adding this to my list for when those tomatoes ripen - we're still a few weeks out in our garden, but hopefully our csa box will include some this week.

Mama Urchin said...

our tomatoes are iffy too but our cucumbers are just terrible