Thursday, October 9, 2008

weaning myself

Or attempting to, anyway. I'm trying to give up petroleum products in my shipping. This morning I bought 250 feet of corrugated cardboard and drug out my paper shredder. I'm afraid to completely give up the bubble wrap, but I'm using less of it. One possible downside- the packages might weigh a bit more, which would increase shipping somewhat. What do you think? The guy at the packaging warehouse thought I was nuts and wanted to sell me on the foam egg crate-type material (be still my heart, pottery arrives perfectly cushioned, as if traveling on air), but the stuff can't be recycled at all. My hope is that if you get a package from me, you'll reuse the bubble wrap and chuck the rest into your recycling bin.

3 comments:

Wylie said...

Hi Melissa,
I did recycle your packaging to send a wedding gift upstate that was fragile!

I am loving my pottery so much. Let me know when you want me to pay you for the crosses.

Fondly,
Wylie

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I hope the recyclable stuff works out -- it would be great if it did.

Linda Johnson Studio said...

Hiya!
I used to get shredded paper at the office I worked at - I would bring home loads of it - when I stopped working there I turned to bubble and hope, hope, hope people reuse it. I also have a few sources that give me bubble wrap and peanuts to reuse, framing stores and gift shops that don't ship are great for that. Since our items are so fragile, when I buy new shipping materials I try to have as much recycled content as possible - it's such a battle to try to green up my shipping. And the shredded paper is so dusty.ugh!
But, good for you to work towards greening it up!
Best,
Linda