Saturday, February 28, 2009

farmers market


herb markers
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
It's funny to be looking out the window at a grey, very cold February day, wondering if the rain will indeed turn to snow, and know that you have to start working on ware for the Memphis Farmers Market. But we had our first vendor meeting of the 2009 season this morning and I think we're all excited to get back to work. Even though I only sell at a handful of Saturdays during the season- typically from opening day until the middle of June- I go every weekend that we're in town. The produce is wonderful and well-priced, the vendors are all lovely people, there are plentiful flowers, baked goods, several potters, glass, and metal artisans offering their wares. MFM is a wonderful organization that takes great pains to promote its members- both at the market and online. My page needs a little work, but I've got a great in-house PR man.

Last year I sold out of berry bowls the first (and only) time I had them. The herb markers almost always sell well, as do my small prep bowls and bud vases. I'm going to try some new display ideas this year, particularly with the herb markers. Right now, I have eight to ten different herbs in three different colors propped in my old galvanized washtub. What you see in the photo is really too many to be effective. I think I need a different container, and I think I'll have to build it.

I'm also considering having a blackboard with the my market dates and the prices of things like herb markers and berry bowls. Last year I had a large banner made with my logo, very similar to the banner over at my etsy shop.

Lots to do- and it all starts with getting upstairs and working!
Hope you're having a lovely weekend!

No comments: