Tuesday, November 13, 2012

papatya


Three weeks ago today one of my closest friends died.  It was sudden, tragic, unforseen, preventable.  There has been so much blame and sorrow and support and anguish and for the first time I'm really understanding that you can't just get up and move on.  I've always known that death and loss is something you get used to, over time, but not over.

After she died, I began making these origami-esque cranes out of porcelain.  I gave two to her mother and sister, one to her mother in law.  I kept one.  I folded dozens out of paper the first week after her death, and will fold more.  We've all heard the story of the thousand cranes and how they represent hopes for peace.  My cranes give me a bit of hope- hope to make more, hope to make them better, hope to make them a memorial somehow, but I don't yet know how.  I don't believe that I will ever sell these- they're too close, especially right now. 

_____

Mourning aside, I still have 3 more holiday sales between Thanksgiving and December 9.  I am still working and am trying to make time to update my etsy shop and restock my local vendors.  My husband had a large birthday party last weekend and my son's 9th birthday is Monday.  Life marches on.  I'm going to be pretty quiet here, perfunctory at best, but I'll post notices of the events and work I'll have for them as they come.

Thanks for reading.