Thursday, February 9, 2012

it must be seasonal.


I find myself obsessed with chickens.  I love to watch my chickens, I'm drawing my chickens, I'm (gasp) ordering more chickens.  This will be my girls' third year, and to keep our egg production up and happy, I need to replenish the laying stock. 
I think this interest is seasonal, because as enamored as I am with chickens, I haven't been this crazy about them since I first started with this little flock.  It must be a craving for spring.
I turned this little sketch I did this morning into a pattern to use on my pots- the middle and lower hens, anyway.  The top is a little too cardinal-like. I'm looking at special underglaze paper that works like carbon paper to see about simple reproductions- or maybe I'll explore decals.


In non-chicken news, I am throwing like crazy.  Making things for spring, filling orders for individuals and shops, and trying to stay on task.  I'm finally putting in my seed order (for things like herbs, cucumbers, peppers, and beans and flowers- I've given up on starting tomatoes myself) and thinking about where I'm going to put my bee hive.  We haven't had much of a winter around here, but I'm hungry for spring.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm hungry for spring too, and starting the garden.

I need chicken advice - what are some good breeds?

Peach May said...

foontenChickens & Roosters + Pottery = www.tammyleighbrooks.com!

I met her & she rocks. Thought you might like.

Marisa said...

I am totally in love with that bottom chicken. It reminds me of my grandma Bunny. She always signed her name with a little drawing of a fluffy tailed bun.