Monday, September 26, 2011

preview

to say that I am thrilled with these is an understatement.  Bisque firing a bunch more of these today.




This weekend I also went to see this show and lecture.  I bought the book that accompanied the show, which is something that I rarely do, but I think I'll go back to it over and over again.  I drew and took notes furiously throughout the lecture- not so much on this potter's style- it was very much in the folk, utilitarian style of the NC mountains (read- really, really thick), but he used a slip-painting style that was reminiscent of Wedgwood Jasperware (without knowing about Jasperware) and crystalline glazes.  Crystalline isn't something I'm interested in pursuing- they're not really food safe- almost, but not quite, too soft and leachable, and frankly, too finicky in the firing.  I'm not into finicky.  Nope.  But I did fall in love with how they cascade down the shoulders of large vases, and that, friends, is something I can draw.  If you're in Memphis, the show runs through mid-November.  There's also a nice impressionist exhibit up through Oct 9.

4 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

These really turned out so well. Isn't inspiration interesting? Even if it isn't a style or technique you want to try there is still something about being surrounded by creative work that's inspiring and motivational.

amy h said...

I'm glad you made it out to a show -- that's always fun. Yeah, my practical side always limits me to just admiring crystalline glazes. I appreciate ceramics as art, but I'm a functional gal all the way. I think you could do something like that with your color washes though.

rebecca said...

these look awesome. i love the yellow on the dandelion and the line work. also really love the brighter glaze colors showing up within the grey(?) so subtle and interesting.

mrbrownthumb said...

Wow, these are spectacular!