Here is the first batch of pottery I made from what I learned at the Diana Fayt workshop. There's some definite potential here. I love love love this bee motif (I found an old old photo of a bee feeding from a blown-out pussy willow blossom that I've drawn and altered to use). The text, "l'abeille bonne", means "the good bee." I think I like that almost as much as the image.
I'm both pleased and upset by this batch, but I'm going to compare this effort to learning to bake bread, or to knit a sweater. This is a learning process. The first loaf of bread you make, even following the best recipe, isn't going to be as good as the 100th loaf you make.
And y'all know I'm a big knitter, right? Knitting is something that I do JUST for me and occasionally for beloved friends or family. But the first sweater I knit doesn't look anything like the sweaters I knit now. And my first sock? e.gads. So this pottery, using this technique, is similar. I had wonderful instruction but I had several user errors along the way. The first bisque firing way over-fired and vitrified the pieces so the glaze wouldn't stick. All of these pieces that were in that firing are pretty rough to the touch- with one exception- not glossy/glassy. The design shows through just fine, but the finish isn't where I want it to be.
Lessons learned: First, babysit your kiln and don't let it over-fire. my last two firings have gone much better because I paid attention to the time. Second, follow ALL of the directions at first. Third, some pots are just for learning, not for sale. The honey pot and two of the little vases are ok to use, but the others are far too un-glazed for real use. Or to sell. It's ok. I'm still learning.