Thursday, March 25, 2010

new color

that I bought specifically for my porcelain teacups. I have to say that unless you throw paper thin (rather, unless I start throwing paper thin), there's just no sense in using porcelain. I can't tell much of a difference except that it is harder to work with.








I tried it on my salt cellars, too. I really like it on these. The color is called, app
ropriately enough, eggshell. It's like a heavy french vanilla with a white bloom on top. Very very difficult to photograph how the color "breaks," but there is a lot of variation in the color. When I took these photos on my normal blue drop, they just looked white. Thye also looked white on my yellow kitchen table. I don't like to photograph my white pieces on white because they don't show up well. I think these need white to photograph.






Can you see the color variation here? I like this glaze a lot, and I like it better when it is glazed heavily enough to really "break" (that's a reduction term- a different type of firing- for the color variation and mottling effects within a single color of glaze. It isn't an effect I use often- I generally prefer transparent but straight color). I'm not sure how I like it on the teacups, but I think it worked brilliantly on the salt cellars and spoons.


I've been working like crazy. But I'm also working within the limits of my tendinitis-prone arms. I can only throw for about 2 hours, and generally I do one day of throwing, one day of trimming with a tiny little bit of throwing (bud vases and tiny bowls) tacked on the end. Plus some hand-building. This week I've made 20 berry bowls, some platters, lots and lots of tiny bowls and bud vases, and two dozen egg cups. It's almost market time!

1 comment:

Mama Urchin said...

I can't wait to see some tiny bowls and vases!