Saturday, September 27, 2008

celebrating the little things


apples
Originally uploaded by Bridgman Pottery
Are you worried? I'm worried. Sales are slow, I had a big car repair this week, virus season is upon us, and there's the rest of the world that seems to be tanking. I am not naturally an optimist- it is so easy for me to get bogged down in the worry. I don't know about you, but I'm making a concerted effort to focus on what's good and wonderful in this life, especially right now.

This morning I bought a load of wonderful crunchy delicious Arkansas Black apples, grown 20 miles from my home. I picked up my CSA and found more produce than I'll be able to use in a week. I had an extra $5 after I bought my farmers market groceries and treated myself to a bouquet of sunflowers and horsetail grass. The heat has finally broken, I'm wearing a hand-knit sweater, and focusing on what's uplifting:
knitting, cooking, fall leaves beginning to color up, an upcoming camping trip, another 5k to run, intensely blue sky that only happens once summer's over, open windows, a job that is keeping me busy, a beautiful happy family, Saturday morning pee-wee soccer games, friends and customers asking hopefully after my holiday pottery plans - the list could, and should, go on. Let's all focus on what's good and possible instead of worrying about what is or might happen. I hope that you all find something wonderful this weekend to buoy your spirits.

Happy weekend.
Some of these apples are going to go into a surprise galette for my boys this evening. I wish I could share it with you, too.

3 comments:

farmerjulie said...

a little worried. crazy what is happening. have a great weekend Melissa!

Nellie said...

It's a good thing, to lean into the positives. Wish everyone would do the same. B;-)

helmetnona said...

I've been buying Winesaps and Arkansas blacks 5 for $1.00 from the farmer's market over the past two weeks. The grower is in Pontotoc, MS.
Once you've eaten a fresh apple, it's hard to have anything from the supermarket.