Thursday, February 21, 2008

working through an idea

Yesterday I told you that I'd take pictures of my work in the studio, but I'm not sure about how I feel about it. Here is my stoneware version of the venerable Picardie glass. I threw several of these yesterday and cut through all but one. This one was extra thick and I cut the facets as carefully as I could. I wasn't happy that the "shudder" lines were so visible. Even though I love handmade and worn, I'm not crazy about sloppy/choppy, which is how I think this looks. Although that being said, I'm not sure how I can justify my love for my very aged kitchen table. But the shudder marks made me wince:


so I rubbed the facets with slip after they were cut and re-defined the top and bottom curves of each cut with my wet fingertips. This single cup, not including throwing, took about 20 minutes. I did have to re-throw the top to erase the wonky (I left the cup attached to the bat as I was faceting)and I used my nifty metal edging tool to redefine the lip at the base. Yesterday when I was throwing, I did about 4 cups in maybe 30-45 minutes, with minimal finishing. I cut the lip for the base and left a ridge to know where to stop my facets at the top, planning to smooth it out with the top of the lip later.

Here's my dilemma, and I'd like some feedback. If you are reading this blog you either love/like pottery or you know me, so fire away. My feelings won't be hurt. This cup will have to cost well over $15. Even when(if) I get better at making them, I would think that I would still cut through every fourth one after I've spent 10 minutes throwing it and 15 minutes faceting it- the holes always happen on the last two cuts, which is what happens with the cafe au lait bowls, even though I've been making them for a while now. Little faux-picardie cup is only 3-4" tall. I will hold less than 8oz of liquid. This one is mine mine mine and will probably be shiny cobalt blue. I'll show you when it's finished. But if you were my customer, would you want one if it were, say, $17? I found a similar one on etsy that also had a lovely drawing on the bottom, it was not thrown but molded then hand altered. A bargain at $15, and I've decided to be selfish and not share a link because I want it myself!

Tell me true, folks, I need some feedback.

*** Good question about the weight. I took a new bamboo tumbler, dry but unfired. It weighed 11.6 oz. When glazed and fired, they range from 10-12 oz. The faux picardie tumbler weighed 10.1 oz, so I'm guessing that while they will have a substantial heft, they won't feel like handweights. The tumblers was also the same height, will probably hold similar amounts.

2 comments:

farmerjulie said...

Hi Melissa..
I have no idea. honest. i think thats not too much though.
i want to see it finished!

Anonymous said...

For my two cents worth: it's not about the price as much as it is about the weight. That cup looks like it will have to be heavy! (Am I right?) Personal preference--I don't use cups that make me weight lift. LAM